Sunday, February 21, 2010

The Gardening Experiment

Here starts my gardening experiment.

A little background:

I live in a second-story apartment with a south-facing deck (~100 sq ft) and three south-facing windows with wide sills. Besides planters and planting soil, I have no access to a garden plot.

My goal:

To better understand gardening, and to move one step closer to self-sufficiency.

How I'm starting:

It's February 21, 2010, and over the past two days I've bought 7 planters, 2 cubic feet of Miracle-Gro, and planted Danvers Half-Long carrots, Heirloom Rainbow Blend tomatoes, thyme, Basil Genovese, and Walla-Walla Long Day onions from my father. Total cost so far is just under $50. I plan on buying more planters (hopefully from second-hand stores), and planting spinach, chives, and peppers.

I'm using an old ice cream bucket for storing food scraps from the kitchen with hopes of starting a compost pile. This is going to be a challenge, given the lack of outdoor space.

Sadly, I have no pictures of the project yet, but will try to post some soon. Feel free to comment with any suggestions or advice!

4 comments: